Glenrock to be Raffled
Research carried out by Killererin Heritage Society
The following advertisement appeared in the Tuam Herald of January 9th 1841 before the Great Famine.
TO BE RAFFLED
AT DALY’S HOTEL, TUAM
On the first of MARCH, 1841, at One
THE INTEREST of the LEASE of
GLENROCK, (being for the residue of a term
of Nine Hundred Years, from the 4th, July, 1839
subject to the yearly rent of £6. 16s and 6d) on which
there has been built a handsome and commodious
House which cost upwards of £1,000? The House
stands on a Demesne of five acres, and is enclosed by
a wall of six feet high. It is situated within 4 miles
of Tuam, 5 of Moylough, and the West-
port Mail and Bianconi’s Car passes by it twice a day.
Tickets, (Limited to 50,) £20 each, half of which are
now sold. should all the Tickets not be disposed of
before the first of March, 1841, the Raffle shall be
postponed until such further time as they may be all
Letters, (pre paid) enclosing CASH, shall be
strictly attended to by the proprietor, Miles Kirwan
Esq., Glenrock, Dangan.
9th January, 1841.
Glenrock (later home to the RIC Barracks) is located on the outskirts of Barnaderg village on the main road to Tuam. Its ruins can still be seen there today.