Killererin Heritage Society
Seven-arch limestone bridge, built c.1740, was widened to north by c.1.2m, and 2 central arches were replaced c.1940 with flat-headed concrete spans. There are round arches to original, with roughly squared voussoirs. Narrow concrete V-plan cutwaters to north side. Parapet walls of coursed rubble limestone with large stones laid flat for copings.
The round arches of this bridge have been well built, giving it a pleasing appearance in the rural landscape. Not untypically, the river arches have been replaced with flat concrete arches in the 20th century. The earlier widening of the bridge adds interest and reflects the move towards enhancing communications in the late 18th and early 19th centuries.
Reg. No. 30404404 Date 1730 – 1950 Townland COOLREVAGH County Co. Galway Coordinates 147718, 247623
Categories of Special Interest: ARCHITECTURAL TECHNICAL,
Rating Regional, Original Use bridge In Use as bridge
This information is published in Killererin – A Parish History, which is available for purchase elsewhere on this site.