Freestanding cast-iron water pump, erected c.1870, comprising fluted cylindrical shaft with moulded base and neck, fluted top with fluted domed cap having pointed finial, spout with fluted connection to shaft, and cow’s tail pumping arm. Pump stands on circular plinth surrounded by later low rubble limestone wall, and approached by 3 rubble limestone steps. Appraisal This water pump is a significant feature in the village of Barnaderg. It is of considerable social significance, as it was a major source of public water supply for many decades, as well as being a meeting place at the centre of this small settlement. The pump was mass-produced but nevertheless exhibits good quality decorative detailing.
Reg. No. 30404407 Date 1860 – 1880 Townland BARNADERG SOUTH
County Co. Galway Coordinates 152226, 247939 Categories of Special Interest ARTISTIC, SOCIAL,TECHNICAL
Rating Regional Original Use water pump In Use As water pump