Dedication of St. Mary's Church, Killererin in 1962

Bernadette Forde

St. Mary's Church, Killererin
Photo: Bernadette Connolly, Clogherboy
Tuam Herald article of Saturday, 8th September, 1962 re the dedication of St. Mary's Church, Killererin
Murgeal Fahy
6th Station of the Cross in St. Mary's Church, Killererin (Veronica wipes the face of Jesus)
Bernadette Forde
Exterior teak door showing the cross worked into the design
Bernadette Forde
Ruins of Cistercian Monastery 2nd October, 2019
Bernadette Forde

According to an article which featured on the front page of the Tuam Herald on Saturday 8th September, 1962, St. Mary’s Church Killererin was dedicated to the Blessed Virgin Mary by his Grace, Most Rev. Dr. Walsh on Monday 3rd September, 1962.

We are grateful to Murgeall Fahy, Killererin, for copying the following article for us, the originals having been saved  by her late mother Phil Fahy.

The following is a transcript of the article on the front page:

New Parish Church at Killererin

Killererin parish church, which has been rebuilt at a cost of about £15,000, was dedicated to the Blessed Virgin Mary by his Grace the Archbishop of Tuam, Most Rev. Dr. Walsh on Monday morning last.

Replacing the old building, which was erected about 1813, the new church retains the original cruciform style, but presents a striking new line in a simple but most impressive design ideally suited to the hilltop location.

Beakaway from traditional design

It is a complete breakaway from the traditional pattern of country churches, and with its sharply pitched roof and high pointed windows, emphasised by the clean lines of the eaves, this new church makes a striking picture in its elevated position.

Interior of the church

The interior lines are an ideal compliment to the exterior appearance, and the panelled wood ceiling gives an air of light and spaciousness.  A feature of the decoration is the use of wroght iron in the baptistry grille and communion rails, which are topped with mahogany.  There is a very high standard of craftsmanship in both wood and metal work, which enhances the original and artistic design.

The high narrow windows have a suggestion of the medieval monasteries in their line, but the design is extremely functional, with the whole interior of the church bright and airy.

Stations of the Cross

A beautiful set of Stations of the Cross and the stained glass windows are the work of the young Westport artist Mr. Owen Kelly.

General layout

The exterior doors are in teak, with the cross very effectively worked into the design of the interior doors.  There is no waste of space, and the general lay-out reflects the greatest credit on the architect, Mr. Vincent B. Gallagher M.R.I.A.I., Dublin, and the contractors, Messrs. James Farragher and Co., Tuam.  The quantity surveryor was Mr. D. McGreevy, Dublin.

Old Parish

Killererin is a very old parish stretching out to the borders of Abbeyknockmoy where the ruins of the old Cistercian abbey are a silent reminder of the glorious history of Cathal Mor of the Wine-Red Hand.  It is interesting to note that the old church at Killererin was built before the Famine years, and its site must be one of the highest in the Archdiocese of Tuam.

Chalice

A chalice dating from 1731 is still in use in the church.  It was presented by Robert Dean and Mary Kirwan “for  the honour of God and the use of the parish of Killererin”.

Priests of Killererin

Records show that the parish priests of Killererin were Rev. John McLoughlin (died 1849), Rev. Joseph Kavanagh (1849 – 1872), Rev. William Scully (1873-1878), Rev. Patrick Waldron (1878-1887), Rev. Patrick Levingston (1887-1888), Rev. John Keaveney (1888-1926), and Rev. Peter Curran (1926-1957),

The present parish priest, Rev. Michael Burke, is a native of Castle Hackett, and was previously Adm. at Dunmore.

 

This page was added on 02/10/2019.

Comments about this page

  • Is the old church still standing?

    By Susan Sirmans (25/10/2019)
  • Yes Susan and we celebrate a Dawn Mass there every Easter.

    Bernadette

    By killererin (06/11/2019)
  • The ruins of the old church are still standing and we usually have our Dawn Mass there at Easter which is absolutely fabulous. Bernadette

    By killererin (30/10/2019)

Add a comment about this page

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *