First Shop in Killererin

Killererin Heritage Society from Killererin - A Parish History

6th February, 1840

The following notice appeared in the Tuam Herald on 6th February 1840 and may indicate that this was 1st shop to be set up in the village. It is written and spelled as it appeared in the newspaper.

County of Galway.[1]

Barna Dareg

New Wholesale and Retail General

Grocery, Wine,
Spirits and Hardware,

Establishment,

The Proprietors beg respectfully to acquaint their friends and the public in general that on the 17th March (St. Patrick’s Day) they propose opening their New and well supplied Concerns, at BARNA DAREG. For the sale of the best description of Wines, Teas, Coffee, Sugar, Spices, Real Cogniac Brandy. Dublin Beer and Scotch Whiskey, from two to six years old; prime Rum, Gin, Rasberry Juice; Ginger Cordials; Currant [Sherb], Vinegar; Guinness’s XX Stout: Drogheda Ale. Wax Spelm and Cocoa Nut Candles; Starch, Blue Soap; Tobacco, Snuff and every article in the Hardware and Oil Department, likely to be required by persons residing in the country.

The Proprietors having purchased their present extensive supply of Stocks for CASH, can afford selling at a Very Small Profit and instead of wishing to indulge in the present system of puffing, [putting up prices] merely state that they will only sell the BEST DESCRIPTION OF GOODS. There will be no Second Price asked, or Credit; and their anxious desire will always be to please the Public, from whom they respectfully REQUEST A TRIAL.

They have, on yesterday, received a Large Supply of the best Wigan and Smith’s COAL, which will be sold upon Reasonable Terms.

They daily import 400 bottles of Soda and Seidlitz Water [a natural water] from the CELEBRATED MANUFATORY OF Mess’rs Towalls, O’Kelly, and Co.; also a large supply of Spices, Fruit, Pickles, Sauces, Confectionary, Perfumery.Patent Medicines; Dry Colours; Colours in Oil, Varnishes, Dye Stuffs, &c., &c., from Messe’rs (normally Messrs.) Polock, Figgis and Co, Dublin.

Shop Boy Wanted

N.B.—Wanted a Shop Boy, who will understand his business. None need apply except those who can give the most satisfactory references as to character, &c.

M.G. KIRWAN & Co.,

Proprietors.

Barna Dareg, 6th February 1840.

The above may be referring to the present day premises owned by the Joyner family (now a pub) as it had listed in the advertisement that wines and spirits and stout would be on sale. 6th Feb 1840. A liquor licence would be required to sell same.

 

This page was added on 02/07/2018.

No Comments

Start the ball rolling by posting a comment on this page!

Add a comment about this page

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *