The following are old sayings that were popular when I was growing up
- Waste not, Want not.
- Enjoy life while you are in it, you will be long enough gone.
- February fills the dyke with what thou dost like, but snow won’t lie on a hot stone (meaning the atmosphere is getting warmer and we won’t have much snow).
- March comes in like a lion and goes out like a lamb.
- Wrap up well and go out in the snow and you won’t get a cold for the year.
- Fine feathers make fine birds.
- A red sky in the evening, you will have a fine day. A red sky in the morning always brings rain.
- Carry your umbrella on a fine day and you will always have it for a wet day.