Garra National School 1844 -1955

Garra N.S. begins

Information received from Catherine Walsh, Garra

Garra N.S., now a private residence
Photo: Bina Devaney, Lissavalley

In 1884, a piece of land at Garra was donated by John Nolan to Most Rev. John McEvilly, the Rev. Patrick Waldron and William Lynskey who were Trustees of the National Education Board in Ireland.

A school was built

The trustees built a school on the land which was known as Garra N.S. in the townland of Garra, the parish of Killererin and the Barony of Clare.

In 1923,the National Education Commissioners  (Order No. 1001 1923) ordered that all jurisdictions, powers and duties which on 6th day of December 1921 were conferred or imposed by law on the commissioners of National Education in Ireland now comprised in the Republic of Ireland.

Deed of Transfer

A Deed of Transfer dated 4th June 1955 was executed between Most. Rev. Joseph S. Walsh D.D. Archbishop of Tuam and Rev. Peter Curran, Parish priest of Killererin to Mary Burke for the sum of €200.

This page was added on 03/05/2021.

No Comments

Start the ball rolling by posting a comment on this page!

Add a comment about this page

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *