Killererin has a rich archaeological history dating back millennia. Presently there are 73 recorded archaeological monuments in the parish and 18 protected structures. The most common monuments found in the parish are ringforts. These ringforts, commonly known as raths and cashels were constructed primarily during the early Christian period (500-1100 A.D.) and were used as protective structures around farmsteads. The oldest archaeological finds in the parish are saddle querns (used to grind grain and other foodstuffs). These date to the Neolithic (3500 to 2000B.C.) or Bronze Age 800-200B.C.
Most recognisable monuments
Probably the most recognisable monument in the parish is Barnaderg castle/tower house. It was built in the 16th century by Meloughlin O’Kelly and is possibly one of the last castles built in Ireland. The church ruins in the Killererin old cemetery, date back to the 12th century, but it is believed the ruins of a church in Grange are older and may be the ‘mother church of the parish’. The Carmelite monastery ruins in Creevaghbaun date back to the 14th century. A holy well and a possible sweathouse, which is well preserved, are situated nearby in Kilmore. Other types of monuments that can be found in the parish include children’s burial grounds, kilns, mills and field enclosures.
SMR = Site and monuments record.
RMP = Record of monuments and places.
S = South, N = North, E = East, W = West.
SW = Southwest, SSE = South-south-east, NNE = North northeast, etc.
CBG = Children’s Burial Ground